Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Archive NAS

This NAS would be located on our network in another building to provide an archive location for mostly video files. I will be manually backing up my edit SSD's (16TB) at least weekly. A video server on our network will also use the NAS as an archive location and will periodically backup old videos automatically. Our network is currently 1GbE but I could see it being useful to have the ability to move this NAS closer to my edit station and potentially edit directly off it with a dedicated 10GbE port. If that increases the cost significantly though, I would probably prefer to stick to something that is solely used for archive purposes and spend the money on that. But if it fits in the budget of $3100, it might be useful to include.

We have mainly stuck to Synology in the past, although if there is a significant benefit to going with another manufacturer, we would be open to it.
Based on your use case, the Synology DS1522+ would be a great option for your needs. It has plenty of storage capacity for your video files and is expandable if you need more in the future. With a 10GbE port, you can easily move large video files back and forth between the NAS and your editing station.

If you're concerned about the cost of a dedicated 10GbE port, you can consider using a switch with 10GbE ports instead. This way, you can connect multiple devices to the switch and take advantage of the faster speeds without having to pay for a dedicated port on each device.

As for other manufacturers, there are certainly other options out there, but Synology has a good reputation for their NAS products and their user-friendly interface. Sticking with a brand you're familiar with can also make it easier to manage and maintain your network.