Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Video Surveillance NAS Recommendations

Hi,

Our church is wanting to put up some cameras just to capture the entrances and see who's coming and going. We will most likely go with 4 cameras and our facility covers quite a bit of square footage between 2 buildings, so running home runs to an NVR is just straight out of the question. Which leads me to NAS. I am a complete novice to anything NAS related. I don't know what makes a NAS good, what makes it bad, or how to set one up (although I'm sure it's easier that I have it built up to be in my head).

This NAS will live at our network head-end location, so right next to our router and our best switch. We don't currently have a high network demand for other traffic, so 4 cameras won't cause any noticeable congestion. My primary inquiry is this: We'd like to record based on motion detection and having a NAS that can do that is very important. How do I shop for a NAS that has this feature? What should I be looking for in the spec sheets? Is there a NAS out there that can setup boundaries for the motion detection area similar to what a Ring or Nest cam can do? And what cameras should I pair with this NAS? How much storage should I get if we want to keep footage for 30 days @ 10fps, 1920x1080?

Target budget would be close to 1500 USD.

Thanks so much for your time and assistance!