• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can someone advise a QNAP replace for a Synology

I'm seeking advice on finding a suitable QNAP replacement for my current setup:
* Synology DS1522+ with a DX517.
* Fitted with 1 x 2.5" SSD.
* 2 x NVMe.
* 9 x 3.5" HDD in RAID 6.
* 10Gb NIC.

* My software setup includes running; Win 10 in a VM (JUST for Amazon photo backup).
* Radarr, Sonarr, with a VPN in a Synology VM
* DS Audio (for music in the car).
* Jellyfin.
* DS Cam
* DS Photo (AKA Photos, for iPhone photo/video backup).

I also have my USB label printer connected, with the Synology acting as a print server.
I've been told that this print server function might not work well on QNAP.

Furthermore, I've upgraded the RAM myself and encountered an error message about non-Synology recommended memory modules. Despite running a memory check that returned all fine after a test, I keep getting a 'Checksum mismatch' on Synology even with new drives. Additionally, Jellyfin struggles with on-the-fly hardware re-encoding.
This was not a cheap unit, and I've also lost the Seagate extra testing option.

I've been eyeing the 16-Bay QNAP models, specifically the TS-1655, which fits my budget. It comes with 2 x NVMe, 4 x 2.5", and 12 x 3.5", & 2.5Gb NIC.

I appreciate any recommendations for a QNAP unit that would suit my needs. Can someone also confirm if adding an Nvidia 1650TI for enhanced graphical capabilities, especially with Jellyfin, is feasible?

I fell a little dishearten with Synology as I've been with them years coming from 1 Bay models, to 2, 4, 5, 8, and now with the expansion unit 10 bays and I fell they are dropping the ball for price to performance/features.

Looking forward to your valuable input!

Cheers Rich

Messages In This Thread
Can someone advise a QNAP replace for a Synology - by richtheace - 01-10-2024, 04:11 PM