Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Choice of NAS model and Hard Drives

Hello! This would be my first NAS.
I think I'd use it as storage of iphone/ipad backups, photos and videos.
I would like to use at least RAID 1, to have a backup, in case of failure of one of the drives
I've got an Apple ecosystem (iphone/ipad/macbook).
My router is sitting on a shelf (weist height) in a huge livingroom, 1 meter behind a sofa.
I'm routing towards Synology for its software and its MAC compatibility.
However, I'm not sure about which model to buy and which hard drives.
I'd like to have a decent system and my priorities are:
1. MAC COMPATIBILTY;
2. SILENCE: I'll have to connect the NAS to the router, near the wall of my main room and not, instead, in a closet;
3. POWER EFFICIENCY: I'd like to have a system that doesn't drain too much electricity.
I don't know if DS223 would be enough or if is better DS220+ or DS224+.
I'm was thinking about a 2-bay, but maybe even a 4-bay.
I've read that often the noise made by the NAS can be pretty annoying. Is it true?
Thanx!
Hello there! As a first-time NAS user with a focus on Mac compatibility, silence, and power efficiency, you're on the right track with Synology. When considering your priorities, the DS220+ would be an excellent choice. It's a 2-bay NAS that strikes a balance between performance and energy efficiency. This model is known for its seamless integration with Mac devices and offers a whisper-quiet operation. It's perfect for your living room setup as it won't be a noise disturbance.

With RAID 1, you'll have that essential drive redundancy for data safety. The DS220+ is powerful enough to handle your storage needs and even allows for SSD caching to improve performance. Plus, it's cost-effective and should serve you well both now and in the future. As for hard drives, consider NAS-optimized drives from reputable brands like Seagate or Western Digital for reliability.

While some NAS units can indeed generate noise, the DS220+ is designed to keep it to a minimum. If you ever decide to expand your NAS usage, Synology offers models with more bays to accommodate your growing needs. So, whether you're safeguarding your precious photos and videos or expanding your Apple ecosystem, the DS220+ is a solid choice. Enjoy your NAS journey!