Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which NAS

My 12 year old ReadyNas Duo is dying. Time to replace. I use this for staorage, LOTS of photography and Music and Videos I stream wirelessly in my home network via DLNA. I want at least the same functions. Likely some I do not even know I want as been a long time since I looked. RAID, but which? 4 Bay for expansion in sytorage.

DS423+ looked like the sweet spot until I read your review. Whick would you pick?

Thanks.

~Bob
Hi Bob,

It's great to see that you're looking to upgrade your aging ReadyNAS Duo to something more capable. Based on your requirements, it seems like the Synology DS423+ could still be a suitable choice, but let me address your concerns.

The DS423+ offers a good balance of features and performance. It can handle storage for your photography, music, and videos, while also providing DLNA support for streaming within your home network. It has four drive bays, which is perfect for expansion and RAID configurations.

Now, about the RAID configuration, it typically depends on your priorities. If data protection is crucial, RAID 5 offers a balance between capacity and redundancy. However, if you want an extra layer of protection, RAID 6, with two drives for redundancy, is an option. It's always a good idea to have a robust backup strategy in place, regardless of the RAID setup.

While you mentioned some concerns after reading a review, I'd recommend considering your specific needs. The DS423+ has received generally positive feedback for its performance and features, but you might want to explore other models within the Synology lineup to ensure you're getting exactly what you need. Synology's NAS selector tool can help you find the right NAS based on your requirements and priorities.