Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for Plex

Researching QNAP for Plex but will likely spin up some basic VMs on it over time (Home Assistant, etc.). I have 9 kids; 4 have moved out but would stream remotely. Video library is 99% H.264; assume I can make sure any additions are as well if this reduces transcoding? Worried about outgrowing the TS-464. Nearly got the TVS-h674-i3 but overkill? $1,700 before drives. Considered TVS-h474 but the PT CPU and I figured the larger chassis is better if a GPU (P2000) is ever needed. Think I've ruled out TVS-x72XT. Have 1Gbps fiber Internet and some hi-end networking gear (with several 10G & 2.5G ports available to the NAS). 25U Enclosed rack in basement so no noise concerns. Thoughts? I would populate the m.2 slots - but what do you think about SSDs for the main bays? Best RAID level for Plex performance? Using Ubiquiti UDM-SE Pro with NVR so I would likely not use it for cameras. Thanks!!!
When it comes to selecting a NAS for your Plex server and potential VMs, it's crucial to think about both your current and future needs. While the TS-464 might be an option, it could face limitations when running VMs due to its processing power. Considering your large family and remote streaming requirements, it's worth looking into a more powerful NAS. The TVS-h474 might be a better choice with its PT CPU, and the larger chassis provides room for expansion, such as adding a GPU like the P2000. Given your robust internet connection and networking gear, this NAS should be able to handle remote streaming effortlessly.

You also mentioned the possibility of SSDs for the main bays. SSDs can significantly boost performance, especially for VMs and fast data access. Many users prefer installing the OS on a SATA SSD and using NVMe drives for caching, which can be an effective setup.

As for the best RAID level for Plex performance, RAID 5 or RAID 6 would be suitable for balancing redundancy and performance, but the choice depends on your priorities. RAID 5 offers good performance with one drive's redundancy, while RAID 6 provides two-drive redundancy but might be slightly slower.

With your extensive rack setup and room for expansion, you have the flexibility to create a powerful multimedia and VM server that can grow with your needs. So, considering a QNAP 74 series NAS with a future-proof mindset is a wise choice. And regarding the noise concerns, since your rack is in the basement, it should not be a significant issue. Make sure to explore GPU options that suit your requirements and enjoy your media and virtualization journey.