Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SAS NAS

I'd buy a new Synology to replace my ancient one but I've got a basically endless supply of used SAS drives (8-12TB a piece) from decomm'ed equipment.
What's a good hands off QUIET box I can shove them into then forget about for the next ~5 years? 8 hot-swap SAS bays would be perfect.
Bonus points if it comes with hardware transcode.
Keep in mind I'm in europe so some stuff in unavailable to me.
You could consider Netstor https://www.netstor.com.tw/product_subli...+Enclosure

Otherwise:

Dell MD1000: As suggested, you can find Dell MD1000 units on eBay for around $250. However, these lack network connectivity and need a host computer to work.

FreeNAS on a Cheap PC: You can consider setting up FreeNAS on a cheap PC or a used server. While these solutions may require more DIY effort, they can be cost-effective and offer good storage capacity.

Selling SAS Drives: You might consider selling the SAS drives if none of the available options seem suitable for your requirements.

StoneFly 8-Bay Appliances: A recommendation was made for the StoneFly 8-Bay VSO and SSO Appliances, which are compatible with SAS drives. These appliances offer enterprise-level features and might be worth exploring.

Building a NAS from Scratch: You could build a custom NAS from scratch. This gives you full control over the components and allows you to tailor the NAS to your specific needs.