Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for data feeding a Plex Server

Hi, I have a NUC8i3 running PMS, local database, no media data, with PlexPass and (USB) 2.5 Gb ethernet network connection combined with a DS1010+ (with a mix of SATA2 and SATA3 disks) connected by LAGG 2Gb eth. I would like to place my primary video and perhaps music library into a more powerful SATA6 based NAS with 2x1Gb LAGG or 2.5Gb etherent. I presume Music files demands are not an issue. I recognise that the PMS device should ideally be upgraded to improve 4k transcoding. That is a wip.

What NAS series or model (2-4bay) would you recommend for the data to maximise/optimise data transfer to the PMS? It runs as a pure NAS, no apps. Is 2.5Gb network connection sufficient between the PMS and NAS esp with increasing file sizes and the demands of 4K material. Do I have an issue that even needs solving?

Thanks in anticpation.
For optimizing data transfer to your Plex Media Server (PMS), I'd recommend considering the QNAP TVS-H474 with a GPU card, which is well-equipped to handle 4K Plex transcoding. If you need more storage capacity, you can explore the 6 or 8-bay versions of this model. The combination of a robust NAS and a capable GPU will ensure smooth 4K media streaming. Additionally, the QNAP TS-264 or TS-464 is a solid choice for your media needs. These NAS options provide excellent performance for serving your video and music library to your PMS.

As for your network connection, a 2.5Gb Ethernet should be sufficient for most media streaming scenarios, even with the increasing file sizes and the demands of 4K content. However, you may want to consider future-proofing your setup by ensuring that your NAS and PMS device support higher network speeds, as this can enhance performance and accommodate any potential future requirements.