Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SSD volume for DSM and packages on DS1621+

Hi!
First of all ... big thank you for sharing your knowledge - I am a NAS beginner with no IT-background and know most of what I know from your YouTube - channel.

My question is:
Is it an advantage / does it make sense to install two 1TB SATA SSDs using RAID 1 on a Synology DS1621+ purely as storage pool / volume for DSM 7 and packages when setting up the system
and then, in a second step, add 4 SATA HDDs to the DS1621+ in a SHR (or RAID 5) array as data storage pool?
I want to use the DS1621+ mainly for photo & video editing and got curious about using a mix of HDDs and SSDs when I saw videos about e.g. the QNAP TS-h973AX, which offers the possibility to add HDDs as well as SATA but also NVMe PCIe SSDs.

What about using an M.2 SSD storage pool on the DS1621+ for DSM and packages?
Would there be any advantage in e.g. having the Lightroom catalogue and photos that are currently being edited on an SSD storage pool / volume (either SATA SSDs or M.2 NVMe SSDs)?

Kind Regards!
Mario
Absolutely, Mario, you're making a smart move by considering two 1TB SATA SSDs in RAID 1 for your Synology DS1621+. This setup provides a snappy and reliable foundation for DSM 7 and your essential packages. It's perfect for fast access and optimal system performance. As for the subsequent step, when you introduce 4 SATA HDDs in either a SHR or RAID 5 array, you're building a capacious data storage pool, ideal for handling your photo and video editing projects. HDDs shine when it comes to storing large files, making them an excellent match for your less frequently accessed data.

While M.2 SSDs offer exceptional speed, it's important to note that the DS1621+ doesn't support using NVMe drives for installing DSM. However, you can employ SATA SSDs for caching to enhance the speed of your system.

Speaking of Lightroom catalogs and actively edited photos, having them on an SSD storage pool, whether with SATA SSDs or M.2 NVMe SSDs, will bring a noticeable advantage. Your editing process will be faster and more efficient, especially for tasks where speed is of the essence.

Your plan for combining SATA SSDs for DSM and packages, along with HDDs for data storage, is well-balanced. It ensures that your DS1621+ is equipped to meet your current needs while considering future demands.