Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New to NAS

Hi, 
Looking for some advice. I currently stream all of my media around my home from my cMP 5,1 where it is stored onto my screens, each of which has an AppleTV device. To be fair this would suffice for most things. However my family would also like to make use of my library, problem is they live at different addresses. The answer would seem to be using something like Jellyfin. I don't want to allow access to my MacPro however, so a server of some kind seems to be the answer. I would rather build than buy, so it's more fun. but the issue I have is the OS. 
I'm only really familiar with MacOS, although I have tried Linux on an old MBP, however I am not too far into that. 
What would your recommendations be regarding an OS that is both straight forward enough for an ageing beginner as well as inexpensive (Free!)? Can CasaOS run on a homebuilt server? Would it do what I need it to? Or would it be better to learn TruNas or maybe pay for UnRaid. 
I'm not certain that the lack of RAID is an issue (althoughI believe that is on the way with CasaOS), as all of the media files will also be on the MacPro, but obviously it would be useful going forward.
Incidentally, have you reviewed at any point the InWin MS-04, as it seems to be a smart little 4bay with included PSU.

Hope this isn't too long and convoluted.

Thanks

Paul

PS I've also had issues connecting my new router....

The Synology DS224+ is an excellent choice for a compact and efficient NAS (Network Attached Storage) solution. It offers a balance of features suitable for home and small office use. Here's why I recommend the DS224+:

Compact and Energy-Efficient: The DS224+ is a 2-bay NAS, making it compact and energy-efficient. It won't take up much space and is cost-effective to run.

Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM): Synology's DSM is one of the most user-friendly NAS operating systems available. It offers a wide range of applications for tasks like file sharing, backup, multimedia streaming, and surveillance.

Hardware: The DS224+ is powered by a quad-core Intel processor, which provides ample power for everyday tasks and can handle multimedia transcoding. It also comes with 2GB of RAM, which can be expanded if needed.

Dual Gigabit Ethernet: Dual Gigabit Ethernet ports offer network redundancy and improved data transfer speeds. You can also set up link aggregation for increased performance.

Versatile Connectivity: The DS224+ features two USB 3.0 ports, allowing you to connect external devices or even expand storage with an additional external hard drive.

Support for Btrfs File System: Btrfs is a modern file system that provides data integrity and efficient snapshots, which can be beneficial for data protection.

Synology Drive and Office: If you need collaboration tools, Synology Drive and Office are available, making it easy to work on documents and files with others.

Mobile Apps: Synology offers mobile apps for easy access to your files, photos, and videos on the go.

Plex Media Server: The DS224+ can handle Plex Media Server, so you can use it to store and stream your media library.

Expandable: If you need more storage capacity in the future, you can expand with a compatible Synology expansion unit.

When setting up your DS224+, consider configuring a RAID for data redundancy. For most home users, RAID 1 (mirroring) is a good choice, which duplicates your data on both drives for added protection.
(10-27-2023, 10:52 AM)edHi Ed,Thanks for your rapid response. As I said, I would prefer to build one, however if I did go for a ready made system then Synology would not be on the list. Whilst I have heard that their OS is excellent, they do seem to like to tell you what hardware is compatible. I already have security cameras that need to be hooked up, and as I understand they are not supported. I did email them to ask when theses cameras would be approved and received a somewhat dismissive reply. I also would be using Jellyfin rather than Plex. Apparently there was a little bit of a scare earlier in the year when it seemed that Plex may go under? So really what I was asking pertained to the most approachable server os for a diy NAS.Paul Wrote: The Synology DS224+ is an excellent choice for a compact and efficient NAS (Network Attached Storage) solution. It offers a balance of features suitable for home and small office use. Here's why I recommend the DS224+:

Compact and Energy-Efficient: The DS224+ is a 2-bay NAS, making it compact and energy-efficient. It won't take up much space and is cost-effective to run.

Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM): Synology's DSM is one of the most user-friendly NAS operating systems available. It offers a wide range of applications for tasks like file sharing, backup, multimedia streaming, and surveillance.

Hardware: The DS224+ is powered by a quad-core Intel processor, which provides ample power for everyday tasks and can handle multimedia transcoding. It also comes with 2GB of RAM, which can be expanded if needed.

Dual Gigabit Ethernet: Dual Gigabit Ethernet ports offer network redundancy and improved data transfer speeds. You can also set up link aggregation for increased performance.

Versatile Connectivity: The DS224+ features two USB 3.0 ports, allowing you to connect external devices or even expand storage with an additional external hard drive.

Support for Btrfs File System: Btrfs is a modern file system that provides data integrity and efficient snapshots, which can be beneficial for data protection.

Synology Drive and Office: If you need collaboration tools, Synology Drive and Office are available, making it easy to work on documents and files with others.

Mobile Apps: Synology offers mobile apps for easy access to your files, photos, and videos on the go.

Plex Media Server: The DS224+ can handle Plex Media Server, so you can use it to store and stream your media library.

Expandable: If you need more storage capacity in the future, you can expand with a compatible Synology expansion unit.

When setting up your DS224+, consider configuring a RAID for data redundancy. For most home users, RAID 1 (mirroring) is a good choice, which duplicates your data on both drives for added protection.
I would recommend looking at unRAID OS. This is a very well looked after system compared to Casa or other open-source OS.
Then all you need is a good CPU for the purpose. Plex would run great on gen12 i5 for remote 4k plex. For local use you can use a cheaper CPU.
(10-27-2023, 02:24 PM)ed Wrote: I would recommend looking at unRAID OS. This is a very well looked after system compared to Casa or other open-source OS.
Then all you need is a good CPU for the purpose. Plex would run great on gen12 i5 for remote 4k plex. For local use you can use a cheaper CPU.

Hi Ed, thanks for that. Haven't decided on a processor yet, but almost all of my library at the moment is only HD, not 4K. I shall have to see what's available on an ITX board.

Paul