Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS - media file optimization for DS1522+

28000 video files recorded off air, owned DVD digitization, and digital purchase. All video files are .mp4 files. NAS is DS1522+. I seek data on the optimum file structure as I can adjust my files using a conversion program. I do not need Ultra high resolution, just quality video recording with sync'd audio. Plex is my video usage program. Question: Again, what is the optimum file structure that will play on PLEX using a DS1522+ NAS.
For your media files that you plan to store on your Synology DS1522+ NAS and play through Plex, you can optimize the file structure to ensure smooth playback while balancing quality and storage efficiency.

Container Format: Stick with the .mp4 container, as you mentioned, as it's widely supported and should work seamlessly with Plex.

Video Codec: H.264 is a good choice for video compression, as it offers a good balance between quality and file size. You may also consider H.265 (HEVC) for better compression efficiency if your devices and Plex server support it. This will help reduce the storage requirements.

Resolution: Since you don't need ultra-high resolution, consider encoding your videos in 1080p (Full HD) or even 720p. This will save significant space compared to 4K while providing good video quality.

Audio Codec: AAC is a common and compatible choice for audio encoding. Ensure that your audio remains synchronized with the video during the conversion.

Bitrate: The ideal bitrate depends on the specific content and your preference for quality. For 1080p video, a bitrate of around 8-12 Mbps is usually sufficient for good quality. Adjust this based on your desired quality level.

Subtitles: If you use subtitles, ensure they are in a compatible format like SRT or WebVTT, and they are correctly synchronized with the video.

File Organization: Organize your media files into well-structured folders and use clear naming conventions for easy navigation within Plex.

Metadata: For a better Plex experience, make sure your media files have accurate metadata. Plex can help with this, but ensuring your files are properly tagged can save you time and enhance your library's appearance.