Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New to NAS and need help choosing

New to NAS, currently use WD My cloud home that now no longer works with my router. Also loss of support is not good. Looking for first NAS to backup family's photos and videos. currently paying for multiple cloud services and want to stop. I already have a separate 4TB USB WD HDD to back up the chosen NAS. Really looking for Google Photos integration / familiarity , One Drive integration. Was looking at QNAP TS-133 / 233, Synology 224+, Terramaster F2-223.
For someone new to NAS and looking for a user-friendly and versatile solution for backing up family photos and videos, I would recommend the Synology DS220+ or new ds224+. It falls within your budget and offers a well-rounded set of features.

The DS220+ provides excellent data protection, support for Google Drive and OneDrive integration, and a straightforward setup process. It's known for its user-friendly DiskStation Manager (DSM) operating system, which offers a wide range of apps and software packages for data management and backups. While it may cost a bit more than some other options, it's worth the investment for its user-friendliness and long-term reliability.

With 2 drive bays, you can start with a smaller capacity (2TB or 4TB) and expand your storage in the future if needed. You can also connect your existing 4TB USB WD HDD for additional backup options.

The Synology DS220+ should provide you with a seamless experience for backing up and managing your family's photos and videos while allowing you to reduce your reliance on multiple cloud services. It's a solid choice for newcomers to the world of NAS.