Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

WD Purple vs WD Red

I have a Synology DS920+ in my homelab that is recording 4 5MP cameras 24/7. I also use the NAS for regular file back-ups and have some data protections in place: Snapshot Replication (for local recovery) and Hyper Backup (for a offsite backup).

I am currently running 3x WD Purple 6TB and 1x WD red 6TB, but I will replace them soon because I need more space.

My question: do I need WD Purple drives (because of the cameras) or WS Red driver (because of the regular stuff)? I have been searching this a lot, but can't get a answer.
When choosing between WD Purple and WD Red drives for your Synology DS920+, it's important to consider your specific usage scenario. The WD Purple drives are designed for surveillance applications and are optimized for continuous, high-definition video recording. On the other hand, WD Red drives are intended for general NAS use and are suitable for regular file backups and data storage.

Since you are using your NAS not only for camera recordings but also for regular file backups and data protection, it may be more advantageous to opt for WD Red drives. They offer good performance and reliability for general NAS tasks, ensuring your regular data and file backups are handled efficiently.