Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

loadout for synology 923

looking at picking up 923 model and wondering what drives would work best and what nvme modules as well as memory upgrade would work.
thanks
Vince
The Synology DS923+ is an excellent choice for a NAS, and with the right components, you can optimize its performance and storage capacity. Here are some recommendations for drives, NVMe modules, and memory upgrades:

Hard Drives (HDDs): For your DS923+, it's crucial to choose hard drives that are suitable for a NAS environment. I recommend using NAS-rated hard drives from reputable manufacturers like Western Digital (WD Red) or Seagate (IronWolf). These drives are designed for 24/7 operation and are optimized for data storage.

Solid State Drives (SSDs): If you require faster access times and plan to use the NAS for virtualization or other I/O-intensive tasks, consider using SSDs for caching. The NVMe slots in the DS923+ make it easy to add NVMe SSDs for read and write caching. Samsung 970 EVO or WD Red SA500 are good choices for NVMe SSDs.

Memory (RAM) Upgrade: The DS923+ comes with 4GB of DDR4 ECC memory, which is decent for most tasks. However, if you plan to run resource-intensive applications or virtualization, you can upgrade the RAM for better performance. The DS923+ supports up to 32GB of RAM. Consider Synology's official RAM modules for compatibility and reliability.

Optimizing NVMe Caching: If you decide to use NVMe SSDs for caching, ensure you choose SSDs with good endurance ratings (measured in DWPD) as caching involves a lot of read and write operations. The NVMe SSDs I mentioned earlier are good options.

When choosing NVMe for caching you need to look at reliability ratings such as DWPD/MTBF. Here are a few on the list
https://nascompares.com/answer/nvme-m-2-...dwpd-mtbf/
Caching means a lot of read and write operations, unlike regular storage situation.
You would need to look at models with 0.5DWPD and above

970 pro – 0.66DWPD

Synology SNV3400 – 0.68DWPD

Seagate FireCuda 510 – 0.7 DWPD
Seagate IronWolf 525 – 0.7 DWPD
Seagate Firecuda 530 – 0.7 DWPD
Seagate PS5 Game drive – 0.7 DWPD

Seagate FireCuda 520 -0.9 DWPD
WD Red SN700 – 1.0DWPD