Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Physical Theft NAS Protection?

Hey NAS Compares. I have 3 NAS systems... 2 Synology and 1 UNRAID.

I'm looking to set up 1 of the Synology NAS as an offsite backup solution for my main Synology NAS.

How do yall go about physically protecting the NAS(s) from a $5 wrench attack? Should all 3 NAS be encrypted? Basically how do I protect the data on my NAS(s) from someone physically stealing it?

As of now I'm encrypting the Hyper Backup to the remote NAS.

Cheers,
Normal Dude
Synology's encrypted folders are designed to add an extra layer of security to your data stored on a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device. When you create an encrypted folder on your Synology NAS, the data within that folder is encrypted with a strong encryption algorithm. This encryption is designed to protect your data from unauthorized access, even if the physical NAS device is stolen.

Here's how it works:

Encryption: The data in the encrypted folder is stored in an encrypted format, which is virtually impossible to decipher without the encryption key.

Encryption Key: To access the data within the encrypted folder, you need an encryption key, which is typically a passphrase or a key file. This key is separate from your NAS login credentials.

Secure Transmission: When data is accessed from or written to the encrypted folder, it's decrypted on-the-fly using the encryption key. This means data is transmitted in an encrypted state over the network.

Protection from Theft: If someone physically steals your NAS, they won't be able to access the data within the encrypted folder without the encryption key. This is because the encryption is strong and the key is not stored on the NAS itself.

However, it's important to note that the security of an encrypted folder is only as strong as the encryption key and your ability to keep it secure. If the encryption key is weak or easily accessible, it could compromise the security.

Here are some best practices for keeping your encrypted folder safe:

Choose a Strong Encryption Key: Use a long, complex passphrase or key file for the encryption key.

Store the Key Securely: Keep the encryption key in a physically secure location, separate from the NAS. Don't store it on the NAS itself.

Implement 2FA: Enable two-factor authentication (2FA) on your Synology NAS for an extra layer of security.

Regularly Update the Key: Change the encryption key periodically for added security.

Backup the Key: Ensure you have a secure backup of the encryption key in case it's lost.

By following these best practices and using Synology's encrypted folders, your data should be safe even if your NAS is stolen. It's an effective way to protect your sensitive information from unauthorized access.