Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Network storage for Apple ecosystem backup, Plex 4k streaming, and file sharing

Hello!

Thank you for the invaluable information you provide on your site. I'm considering investing in my first network storage solution, and I'm inclined towards Synology, given its reputed compatibility with the Apple ecosystem.

My primary use will be for home and family (total 4-6 users): backing up multiple iPhones, running Plex both locally and remotely, and serving as a general file server. Initially, I was contemplating the DS220+, but due to its bay limitations, I'm now leaning towards the DS920+. However, I'm also open to other options like a mini PC. My preference is for a user-friendly interface that's fast, won't lag, and requires minimal maintenance.

Highly appreciate your advice and looking forwards to hearing back from you.

Thanks
Thanks for reaching out, and we appreciate your kind words regarding our information. It's great to hear that you're considering Synology for your network storage needs, especially within the Apple ecosystem. Given your requirements, there are a few things to consider.

First, for Plex streaming, it's important to note that streaming 4K content remotely can be a bit challenging due to internet speed limitations. Remote Plex streaming is generally capped at 1080p quality. If you have a good internet connection, it might suffice, but for 4K streaming, it's best suited for local playback.

For Plex, another option to explore is setting up a mini PC with at least an Intel Core i5 12th generation processor. This would allow you to handle 4K content efficiently when streaming locally. This mini PC can be linked to a more affordable NAS where all your media is stored. It's an approach that provides both power and flexibility.

In terms of NAS options, the DS220+, DS224+, DS420+, or DS423+ are all solid choices. If you decide to go the mini PC route, you can opt for a more budget-friendly NAS, as the PC will handle the heavy lifting for Plex.

Your preference for a user-friendly interface and minimal maintenance aligns well with Synology's DiskStation Manager (DSM) operating system, known for its intuitive interface and reliable performance.