Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SSD for DS1522+ in Raid5

Hallo. I cant effort Synology SSDs but would like to have in the DS1522+ 4x4TB Raid5 SSDs. I did see WD Red SA500 on your website. That is less expensive and I could get 5x2TB Raid5. Do you have any experince with these and Raid5. What for Problems could I get because the SSD is not on the compaibilitylist from Synology. Do I have to expect dataloss or that synology blocks the using of them or anything like that? In the past you have made also youtube tutorials about not supportet RAM, do have also any about not supportet SSDs? What can you recommend to me? Some are using the Samsung 870 Evo that would be less expansive then the WD but is not like the WD for 24/7 use. Can you give me some advice? Looking forward hearing from you, with kind regards Nicholas Norman
Absolutely, you can indeed use SATA SSDs to create a RAID 5 setup in your DS1522+ even if they aren't on Synology's official compatibility list. In such cases, you might encounter a warning message due to the non-certified drives. However, it's crucial to note that this doesn't necessarily imply data loss or that Synology will block their usage. You can typically disable these warnings in the Synology Storage Manager. To guide you through the process, we have a helpful tutorial here. While WD Red SA500 and Samsung 870 Evo are affordable options, they are not specifically designed for 24/7 use, which may impact long-term durability. However, for a budget-friendly setup, these can be viable choices as long as you're aware of their limitations. It's always good to keep an eye on the drives' health and consider backups to ensure data safety. Happy storage!

https://nascompares.com/answer/hdd-compa...ed-message
(10-13-2023, 03:43 PM)ed Wrote: Absolutely, you can indeed use SATA SSDs to create a RAID 5 setup in your DS1522+ even if they aren't on Synology's official compatibility list. In such cases, you might encounter a warning message due to the non-certified drives. However, it's crucial to note that this doesn't necessarily imply data loss or that Synology will block their usage. You can typically disable these warnings in the Synology Storage Manager. To guide you through the process, we have a helpful tutorial here. While WD Red SA500 and Samsung 870 Evo are affordable options, they are not specifically designed for 24/7 use, which may impact long-term durability. However, for a budget-friendly setup, these can be viable choices as long as you're aware of their limitations. It's always good to keep an eye on the drives' health and consider backups to ensure data safety. Happy storage!

https://nascompares.com/answer/hdd-compa...ed-message

Hallo Ed. 

Thanks for your answering of my question! I'm a bit confused about your commend to the WD Red SA500 beeing not for 24/7 use. WD them self write on there homepage "Unlike standard SSDs, WD Red NAS SATA SSDs are specifically designed and tested for 24/7 usage"

May I ask what/which SSDs nascompares would recommend for DS1522+ in RAID5, except of the Synology SSDs ?

Looking forward hearing from you
Hallo,

I'm still waiting for an answer. Anyway, how about to this question:

Would you recommend a DS1522+ with 5x 3,84TB Kingston DC600M SSDs in Raid 5? Any experience with DS1522+ and SSDs Raid5? Which SSD other then Kingston would you recommend? Using the NAS as Dataserver, Cloud, Containers at home. It is clear to me that HDDs are cheaper and better suited for cold data. But my main concern is the noise and power consumption and no, there is no possibility to place the nas in an other room.

Please give me an advice I would like to buy this NAS and the SSDs to it. What for SSDs can you recommend for DS1522+ as Raid5 ? Have you tested any? Have you for me a recomentation? Please help

With kind regards Nicholas