Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Drives Disappear on Synology DS1821+

I am using a powered USB hub to manage four backup drives attached to my Synology DS1821+ NAS. After updating to the latest DSM version, USBshare2 disappeared from both the control panel and the network. When I unplugged the drive however, I got a notification from the NAS that the drive had been improperly removed. I rebooted both the computer and the NAS to no avail. I then ejected all of the remaining drives, removed the hub. Rebooted the NAS again and added each component back one by one. This made things worse. Now 2 of the four drives don't show up. Plugging the drives into a computer has verified that they are operational and good. Any help?
(Apanage USB3.0 Super Speed 8 port powered hub) Everything was working until I updated the DSM (7.2-64570)
It appears that the update might have caused some compatibility issues with your setup. In situations like this, it's best to reach out to Synology support for assistance. They will be well-equipped to address this problem, investigate any potential bugs related to the update, and provide you with the necessary guidance to resolve the disappearing drive problem. Your feedback will be valuable to help them improve future updates and ensure a smoother experience. Synology will assist you better.
(10-13-2023, 03:40 PM)ed Wrote: It appears that the update might have caused some compatibility issues with your setup. In situations like this, it's best to reach out to Synology support for assistance. They will be well-equipped to address this problem, investigate any potential bugs related to the update, and provide you with the necessary guidance to resolve the disappearing drive problem. Your feedback will be valuable to help them improve future updates and ensure a smoother experience.  Synology will assist you better.

Thank you for your reply. I have read the Synology FAQ's and it appears that hubs are not supported. I'm fairly sure that's the same answer that I will get if I contact them about my problem. I don't know why it was working before, and now isn't.

I am a "Newbee" to the NAS scene, and am familiar with a only little beyond basic networking. Even though I've had to do some fairly "deep dives" into the nuts and bolts portion of networking (both for work and personal issues); sometimes what you talk about on your youtube channel is a little over my head. Despite this, I do have a very technical background and would love to learn more. This said, If anyone has any ideas, I'm fairly sure that I have enough technical skills to understand and implement them.

I would rather keep the drives near the NAS and not have to physically move them next to my main editing computer to put them on the network. (space is also an issue there.) again, If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. 

A little more info: Despite my technical background, all of my backups are done by hand and are not (and probably never will be again) automated. I drag and drop files as they are added or updated on the computer to the NAS, then, into the proper folder on one of the four external backup hard drives that sit right next to the NAS. Although it was years ago, I have been burned twice. Once by Microsoft, and once by WD Backup. I'm sure that technology has come a long way since then, but I'm gun shy now. This combined with the fact that I only want specific files copied or updated, not whole directories, and time/date or archive flags don't always tag the proper files means that I am not comfortable with automated backups. Besides... I've been doing it this way for years, and am comfortable with my system. .... well, never is not the word I should have used. If someone has a good idea that solves my problem and wants to educate me, I would be willing to try something new. 

If nobody out there has any ideas, the only other thing I can think of is to make the space to wedge four external hard drives (Plus power and a hub) next to my main computer to get them back on the network. Sigh...  Smile
I don't know if this would change anything
mariushosting.com/synology-how-to-add-usb-support-on-dsm-7/ , but its something.