Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How many drives for new system

Hi, I have just ordered my parts to do the £250 build Jonsbo N2. Great guide btw. Next im looking at drives and going to use unraid.

Currently, I have a 16tb and 12tb drive with data on them, and want to get that data onto the NAS when it's complete.

How many additional drives do I need to get to make this work? Assuming I cannot put the drives in as they are and keep the data on them.

Will I need to buy 2 16TB drives, 1 data 1 safety, get the data from one of the drives copied across via USB to the data drive, then add that drive, and then the same again for the second drive?

Thank you

Tim Briggs
Certainly, Tim. When building your NAS using Unraid and considering you have a 16TB and a 12TB drive with data on them, you'll need to prepare for some data migration. The drives with existing data will need to be formatted to work with Unraid, so you'll require additional drives for data migration. Your idea of getting two 16TB drives is a good one. You can start by copying the data from your 12TB drive to one of the new 16TB drives via USB, then add this 16TB drive to your Unraid NAS. Afterward, you can repeat the process for the 16TB drive with data. Unraid allows you to add drives incrementally, which makes it a flexible solution for your needs. This way, you can safely migrate your data and expand your storage capacity as needed.