Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

hosting media / photos, backups and running extra apps

Hello,
im buying my first NAS and photos and videos are critical. I hoped to upload them to the cloud and only keep the thumbnails on my device. When i want to look at them their originals are downloaded and can be edited (amateur level) or i can stream them compressed to my device to simply enjoy. This would absolutely require a good filter system as well as good text, image and people recognition to work for me. >11k Vid/Pics (100GB)

Additionally id like to run backups / email clients/ file sharing and maybe a minecraft server (10ppl + plugins) or some projects on it

Im tech savy enough to write simple code or understand enough to set up the server myself, but mainly I don't fancy having to take care of it for the years to come (+overburdeneding myself)

Original idea: Orange Pi5+ (8 cores (4p+4e) plus 6TOPS NPU) for processing. Software: trueNAS + Nextcloud as a base and build up the rest from there =300€

QNAP &Co.: rel. poor performance (maybe to weak)

prebuild y/n?
I recommend opting for the DS423+ and utilizing Docker for hosting your Minecraft server. Running TrueNAS on the Pi might be too demanding, so you might want to consider Unraid as a more suitable option if you stick with the Pi route. Alternatively, if you prefer QNAP, their TS-464 is a viable choice, offering similar performance. However, if you anticipate the need for future scalability, you should contemplate an i5-based solution.