Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Drive selection for a DIY project

I'm building my first NAS. I've decided on the main components, but not on the drives that I'm going to use, and i'd like some advice on that.
I'm building with the Jonsbo N2 case.
16GB 3200mhz RAM
Celeron J6413 processor
128GB M2 SSD for the OS

I want to use it as a backup storage (leaning towards TrueNAS scale), media server (Jellyfin probably, Plex if Jellyfin is too complicated), Bittorent RSS downloader, Pihole if possible (haven't looked into that), and most importantly when it comes to drive selection: I want to attach 3 wireless NVR cameras with ZoneMinder.
If possible, I want zoneminder to analyse and just save footage on the NAS when movement is detected in specified zones. However, i have no clue if the footage needs to be written to the NAS first to be able to analyse it as that would stress the drives a lot more.
I want to add 5 drives to my NAS, and I'm a bit in doubt between classic NAS drives like the Ironwolf or WD Red, or surveillance drives like the WD purple. What would you all recommend going for?
When building your NAS with the Jonsbo N2 case, it's important to choose the right drives that can meet your varied needs. Given your planned usage for backup storage, media server, Bittorent RSS downloading, and surveillance with ZoneMinder, you have a few options. Regular NAS drives like the Ironwolf or WD Red are versatile and can handle these tasks effectively. They are suitable for multi-purpose use and should work well in your setup. However, if you have concerns about the surveillance workload stressing the drives, you could consider getting 1-2 WD Purple surveillance drives and creating a separate RAID array specifically for your camera footage. This way, it won't impact the overall NAS operations and can run independently, ensuring smoother surveillance tasks.
Thanks for your reply. It's reassuring that you think a versatile drive like the ironwolf is up to the task, so i think i'll keep it easy and order 4TB ironwolf drives, as I can get them at a discount right now.

EDIT: Oh, never mind! i found the WD Ultrastart HC 310 6TB for the same price as the 4TB ironwolfs on sale... think i'll go for that because of the far superior MTBF rating.