Poll: What to choose
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DS423+
0%
0 0%
DS923+
0%
0 0%
Other, I will expain it
100.00%
1 100.00%
Total 1 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS423+ or 923+

Video 
Dear NASMasters,

I am about to buy a new NAS replacing my old DS213j. The old one was never a powerhouse, with 2x3TB WD RED it lasted for almost 10 years. And I hated it because it was so slow, furthermore in the last few years it always freezed when a big package was downloaded via DownloadCenter. Sometimes it restarts itself... don't say a word...

I decided to upgrade. I use it as photo storering place, a download (seed) server, and a video and music center for my library. I never used any other media center software, once I tried Plex, but it never was configured well. 

My tool for playing music and video are up-to-date, so I don't have to convert usually my files. As a fileserver I connect to my NAS with my TV, and the TV (or my Dune player) plays HDR or Dolby Vision movies on its own, my HiFi plays what I need. 

I am also thinking on adding some IP cameras to my home, so that is why I thought I have to go 4-bay solutions. As I read many articles and saw many videos, I think DS423+ is my choice. But as I never used Plex or never needed to convert videos to stream, I become uncertain about DS923+. I just need a file to be pushed to the network, my other devices will do the rest, if a new video format comes in, it is easier to buy a new player. DS923+  gives more adventages in network and file-handling side (more futureproof) than DS423+ with a 4-year old processor, but video abilities. 

Anyway my idea is to put my old 3TB drives to a new system, and when it is ready add a new drive to the pack, and I will have the possibility to later add/replace some more HDDs. 

So what I need a NAS for? Downloading and storing films, music, sharing them on my network, for photo storage and maybe for ipcameras. 

But the question is which DS to choose for my usage. 

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

I am in the same boat as you almost exactly, but i would go for the DS224+ with new HDDs.

I also have a DS213J with two WD 3TB drives in there which are all 10 years old also.

So i use my NAS for similar things to yourself but with prices of HDD coming down over the 10 year period you can now get 4TB HDD for the same price as we got those 3TB models 10 years ago.

Remember, your HDD are 10 years old and out of warranty, so moving them could do more harm than good. Buy new HDD with their warranty for some peace of mind. Keep you old DS213J and the 3TB HDD as a backup just in case!

I'm looking to get the DS224+ model as it will do everything i need, and you probably. The CPU and Memory are both a lot better than our old 213J so you are onto a winner there.

I'm considering upgrading the memory though with adding in a memory module.

My 213J is sitting behind the tv now, just churning away, no issues with it at all, apart from it being quite slow when you are doing admin on it.

Good luck!
Yes, a new NAS will improve things and allow you to run multiple tasks and apps simultaneously.
DS423+ is indeed better for multimedia.
DS923+ is better for docker/ VM/ 10gbe. If you don't use any of these then stick with ds423+. It may seem old, but it can handle the latest technologies. I would not call it outdated for that reason. Also, GPU is handy if you want to access cctv remotely. otherwise, ds923+ will run media files just fine in the local network.
(09-29-2023, 12:32 PM)250Turbo Wrote: Hi,

I am in the same boat as you almost exactly, but i would go for the DS224+ with new HDDs.

I also have a DS213J with two WD 3TB drives in there which are all 10 years old also.

So i use my NAS for similar things to yourself but with prices of HDD coming down over the 10 year period you can now get 4TB HDD for the same price as we got those 3TB models 10 years ago.

Remember, your HDD are 10 years old and out of warranty, so moving them could do more harm than good. Buy new HDD with their warranty for some peace of mind. Keep you old DS213J and the 3TB HDD as a backup just in case!

I'm looking to get the DS224+ model as it will do everything i need, and you probably. The CPU and Memory are both a lot better than our old 213J so you are onto a winner there.

I'm considering upgrading the memory though with adding in a memory module.

My 213J is sitting behind the tv now, just churning away, no issues with it at all, apart from it being quite slow when you are doing admin on it.

Good luck!

Hello, 

Thank you for sharing your point of view. Of course you are right the HDDs are almonst ten years old, and there is a possibility they will give up soon. My idea was to save now some money by not buying a total new system. In a few months I plan to develop the system forward. That is why I think the 4-bay is a better solition for me. 
Later I can change the HDDs step by step, add some memory. 
I found that the perfect solution was a 920+, same processor as in the 423+, but with 4 GB. Unfortunately it was replaced by 923+ with an AMD without a graphical chip. And I can't find a used one close to me. 

Regards

(09-29-2023, 01:30 PM)ed Wrote: Yes, a new NAS will improve things and allow you to run multiple tasks and apps simultaneously.
DS423+ is indeed better for multimedia.
DS923+ is better for docker/ VM/ 10gbe. If you don't use any of these then stick with ds423+. It may seem old, but it can handle the latest technologies. I would not call it outdated for that reason. Also, GPU is handy if you want to access cctv remotely. otherwise, ds923+ will run media files just fine in the local network.

Dear Ed,

Thank you for sharing your opinion. I think I will change for a 423+, and wait few years, what will happen with processors, when AMDs will have graphical possibilities...

Regards