Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HELP Plex Metadata Migration to Synology DS423+

Hi All,

First off, I'm relatively new to NAS and Docker (Container Manager in my case).  I'm trying to migrate my Plex install from a Windows 10 Pro machine to my Synology DS423+ with Container Manager.

I've been using the following guides to aid me along the way
How To Install Plex On A Synology DS223 Or DS423 With Container Manager / Docker
Plex Pro Week ‘23: The Great Docker Migration on youtube (came out this week)

Both are great and extremely helpful but the NAS Compares does not deal with migration, and the Plex Pro video is about Unraid.  So many other guides are now outdated or not explicitly my situation.

After much trial and error I've been able to install plex in Container Manager successfully but no migration.  None of the guides really cover how to copy my metadata etc to the install.  I've seen some guides that tell you to do the migration with the install, while the Great Docker Migration video above, has the migration occur after install.  I'm so confused.  The Plex video makes it seem incredibly easy for unraid but I'm not sure if that works for Synology and Container Manager, or what the file paths should be to do so.   I've zipped up my plex server directory on my source machine, and it's 40 gb so it's a beast to copy/unzip etc each time.

Please, any help would be appreciated.  Thanks so much in advance.
The easiest way to migrate is simply by installing Plex as a new server on your new NAS and then copy videos to a new place. You can transfer videos either via USB backup drive or my mapping a NAS on your existing Windows server and copy data over via LAN.
When you get this far you new server will work and have all videos available.
One thing missing will be the metadata that records what you have watched etc.
You will need to copy plex app folder data to transfer this. This is more complicated part. Synology made it more complicated to find this plex folder on new DSM.

DSM 7
/volume1/PlexMediaServer/AppData/Plex Media Server
DSM 6
/volume1/Plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECwlE_4G...ASCompares