Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology DS720+ with DX517 Question

Good Afternoon,

My current setup is Synology a DS720+ (1GB RAM upgrade, 2x 16tb Ironwolf Pro -SHR)  mainly for Plex/Infuse MKV files played over network..
I very quickly ran out of space, not realising how much my movie collection would take up (yeah, I know, should have just bought a 920+) and after much deliberation I have taken the plunge and ordered the DX 517, loading it up with 2x Irowolf Pro 2tb (spares from when I first got the DS720+) currently and setting it up as Volume 2..

What I want to do is move the smaller drives from the the DX 517 to the DS 720+, using these for general storage and the larger drives (with the movie data on) to the DX 517, in a month or so I will buy another 2x 16tb drives for the DX 517 and continue ripping the remaining movie collection..

TLDR
Question: Can I just physically move the drives from DX720+ to DX517 to without causing an issue?  

Thank you in advance
Current setup:

DS 720+, 1 GB RAM, 2x Seagate Irowolf NAS Pro 16TB, DX 517 Expansion unit with 2x Seagate Ironwolf NAS Pro 2TB
Infuse running through PLEX server with over 1,000 Movies and series ripped with Make MKV at 1:1 Quality 
No, drives inside your NAS store DSM data. If you move them, NAS will not boot. You need to start from scratch to do this.
Ed,

Thank you for the reply and what so said makes sense..
As a workaround, could I do the following?

Buy 2x new 16tb drives, add them to the DX517 then transfer all the data from the two drives in my 720 NAS across to Storage Pool 2..
Then remove one of the large drives from the NAS and replace it with one of the smaller drives and repair it with the remaining drive, then repeat this process again once complete - thus freeing up the 2x larger drives currently in the NAS so I can then put them into the DX 517 once complete and saving all of my current data?

Thanks in advance,
Current setup:

DS 720+, 1 GB RAM, 2x Seagate Irowolf NAS Pro 16TB, DX 517 Expansion unit with 2x Seagate Ironwolf NAS Pro 2TB
Infuse running through PLEX server with over 1,000 Movies and series ripped with Make MKV at 1:1 Quality