Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New NAS - SSD-only or HDD + TS464 vs as5404T

Hi. I want to get rid of my home server and just buy a NAS (cheaper, if I consider the time i spend on hardware and software) and I am wondering if I could get advice on 2 things:
1. is it true that HDDs will keep data for longer? I am planning to get both HDDs and or SSDs based on MTBF and TBW, not necessarily performance. HDDs are still cheaper per MB but eventually I wonder if one should drop HDDs and just stick to SSDs.
2. Unless I should move to all-SSDs now and forget HDDs completely, I am looking at QNAP TS-464 and AS5404t. I could add a 4-NVME PCIe board to the QNAP, but that would make it much more expensive. I want something small and silent. This is not for media or video editing, it is slow archive. I can have my way around software - most important is a reliable system. Your advice will help me make the right decision.  Thanks.
You're making a smart move by considering a NAS for your home server needs. Let's address your questions one by one:

It's true that HDDs (Hard Disk Drives) generally have a longer lifespan due to their mechanical nature, but SSDs (Solid State Drives) have improved significantly in terms of durability. SSDs are becoming more popular for various reasons, including their faster performance, better IOPS (Input/Output Operations Per Second), and lower power consumption. Many users are transitioning to SSDs or adopting hybrid solutions that combine SSDs for performance and HDDs for mass storage. SSDs are especially well-suited for tasks like editing, virtual machines, Docker containers, and server functions, while HDDs are often reserved for finished projects and cold storage.

Considering your specific needs for a small, silent, and reliable system, the choice between the QNAP TS-464 and ASUSTOR AS5404T depends on your requirements and budget. If you're focused on slow archiving and reliability, both options can suit your purpose. The ASUSTOR AS5404T offers good value and includes features like PCIe expansion for NVMe drives. On the other hand, the QNAP TS-464 with an added 4-NVMe PCIe board would provide additional performance, but it comes at a higher cost. Since you prioritize reliability and a quiet setup, either choice could be viable. Just ensure that the NAS you choose aligns with your current needs and is adaptable to potential future requirements.