Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS or PC for Plex

Hi, so sorry to bother you. I am currently using an iMac with an external hd (8tb) as my plex media server. I have about 1500 dvds I would like to add to this server. I am unable to decide whether a NAS with a few large hd drives would be better than a pc as a plex media server. We don’t need to stream outside of our home, but it would be great to be able to stream via our home network across all rooms. I am an avid viewer of your YouTube channel and fairly technically minded, but would value your advice on which way to go.

Many thanks. Stuart
For a setup primarily focused on local streaming, a NAS could be a cost-effective and energy-efficient solution. Models like the DS223 or DS423 from Synology's lineup could fit the bill, offering the necessary performance for your needs. However, if you're interested in exploring additional features and potential future expansion, considering the Plus series or Celeron-based models like the DS224+ or DS423+ might be a smart move. These models provide more horsepower and capabilities for your media storage and streaming requirements.

Your technical acumen, coupled with our community's resources, positions you well to navigate this choice. As you delve into this decision, be sure to evaluate factors such as storage capacity, transcoding capabilities, and the convenience of managing your media collection.