Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Upgrade

I current have a Synology DS211+ (MARVELL Kirkwood 88F6282
1.6 GHz/512MB/DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 7) ~10 years old

Nothing wrong, but I would like to proactively replace it.

Mainly used for streaming videos (non-transcoded) on my home LAN to either Infuse on my AppleTV or Kodi on my Firestick. Mainly 1080 but a few 4K creeping in now, which can cause a bit of buffering.

Also used for backing up my docs/photos, although I've only just realised that I could backup my whole Google workspace, which I think would be a step forward. These in turn are backed up to Synology C2 (but not the videos).

I might like to add some surveillance to supplement/replace my Arlo system. Maybe 4-5 cameras max.

Guessing there's no point in SSD's - I currently have a mirrored pair of 2TB HDD's and would probably go for a pair of 4TB, although if I do some housekeeping on my videos I could use my existing HDD's for a year or two.

Thanks, Peter

Based on your requirements, the Synology DS423+ would be an excellent choice for your upgrade. This NAS model is designed to be media-friendly, which aligns perfectly with your usage scenario of streaming videos on your home LAN to devices like AppleTV and Kodi. The DS423+ features a quad-core Intel Celeron J4125 processor with a transcoding engine, making it suitable for handling your video streaming needs, including non-transcoded 1080p videos and even some 4K content.

Additionally, the DS423+ offers ample storage capacity, which will be beneficial for your video collection and backup needs. You can start with a pair of 4TB HDDs as you mentioned, and with the option to expand the storage in the future, this NAS should remain suitable for your needs for the next few years.

If you decide to add surveillance cameras later, the DS423+ can handle that too, supporting up to 4-5 cameras. It's a well-rounded NAS solution that should serve you well, providing both media streaming and backup capabilities.