Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First-time NAS + backup NAS

Hi, first off, thanks for all the work you do, it is very informative!

I am considering purchasing a NAS for the first time, probably a 6-bay with 12-16TB HDDs. Obviously, I would also need another NAS for backup.

I am interested in the Asustor AS6706T as my main NAS (I intend to use it for personal storage and as a media server with Plex), and a Synology 1621+ as the backup.

I have the following questions please:
- Would these NASs be suitable? Or should some other devices be considered, especially for the backup (I am not sure if it would be overkill)?
- Do you recommend installing SSDs to serve as cache? If so, what capacity should they have?
- What level of RAID should be used? I presume the same level should be used on both the main and backup NASs?
- What services do you recommend as (cost-effective) cloud backup?
- Would there be any issues if I purchased some drives a few months/years after the first set of drives (in terms of compatibility with the other drives)?

Thanks!
Hello there! First, thanks for your kind words—we're thrilled to help you on your NAS journey! The combination you've chosen seems well-suited for your needs. The Asustor AS6706T is a solid choice for your main NAS, especially since you intend to use it for personal storage and as a media server with Plex. The Synology DS1621+ as the backup NAS is also a good move, ensuring data redundancy and protection. You're certainly on the right track!

Regarding SSD cache, for typical home use, it's not a top priority, but if you opt for an all-NVMe SSD setup, you can significantly boost application performance. This could be especially beneficial when you're working with apps, ensuring swift response times. It's a great way to go beyond the usual cache setup.

For your RAID setup, I recommend RAID 5 for the primary NAS (Asustor AS6706T). This gives you a good balance between capacity, performance, and data redundancy. For the backup NAS (Synology DS1621+), you could consider JBOD (Just a Bunch of Disks), which provides each drive as a separate volume. It's simpler in this case since the primary concern here is data backup and redundancy.

When it comes to cloud backup, cost-effectiveness is a crucial factor. Backblaze is a popular choice among users for its affordability and simplicity. It's important to ensure that your crucial data is backed up securely, and Backblaze does a good job at that.

Regarding your last question, buying drives gradually can indeed be a prudent strategy. It reduces the risk of multiple drives failing simultaneously. Mixing drives from different batches and production dates is generally okay, especially with modern NAS systems. However, it's a good practice to stick with the same drive model and specs for consistency.