Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Choosing NAS

Hi, I would need a little help here. I am buying my first NAS. The main purpose of it should be replacing Google Photos. I am planning of putting about 8TB of storage inside of it. But I cannot choose between QNAP TS-233 and Synology DS223j. On one hand the QNAP is more powerful, but I heard that Synology has better software. Anyway feature that I use very often in Google Photos is searching using AI. For example if I want to search photo of my car, so I just type "car" and it shows me pictures of my car. I wonder which of the phone apps (QuMagie or Synology Photos) is overall better and also wnich have the better AI recognition. Or should I just choose QNAP for the hardware? I will be very greatfull for any opinion.
It's great to hear that you're diving into the world of NAS devices to replace Google Photos. Between the QNAP TS-233 and the Synology DS223j, you've got some considerations to make. You're correct that QNAP generally offers more robust hardware, but Synology shines when it comes to user-friendly software and features.

In terms of the specific feature you mentioned, which is AI-based photo recognition for easy searching, it's essential to note that the Synology DS223j doesn't support object recognition, as indicated in their knowledge base article here.

On the other hand, QNAP does offer object recognition capabilities. This feature can be quite handy for quickly finding specific photos based on objects like cars or other items. Therefore, if AI recognition and object search are essential to your needs, QNAP might be the better choice for you.

It's always a good idea to consider the hardware and software aspects, especially when you plan to use specific features extensively. In your case, if QNAP provides the AI-based recognition feature you're looking for, it might be the more suitable option for your use case. However, Synology does have its own strengths, especially when it comes to user-friendly software, so keep that in mind as well.
https://kb.synology.com/en-eu/DSM/tutori...ogy_Photos