Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS423+ vs DS1522+

I am a current user of the Synology DS216+II which I purchased just under 6 years ago.  I consider myself an entry-level NAS user having not wandered much beyond simply using it for the purpose of being able to access my data from all of the computers in our household and occassionally accessing it remotely using the QuickConnect capability.  I've stored some photos, video, and music but have not used any of the special packages related to to those media.... and I would like for that to change. 

I have thousands of digital photo and video files that I would like to get off of my laptop, desktops, DVDs, external hard drives etc and onto my NAS network.  I've been watching YouTube videos ad nauseam on the DS423+ and DS923+ and now in the last half day have looked into the DS1522+.  This will likely be the first and last time I upgrade my NAS and want to plan for the future... but being a realistic 72 year-old, not too far down the road. :-)  

Between the 423 and the 923 I find myself leaning pretty heavily toward the DS423+.  But, I've not seen any direct comparisons DS423+ and DS1522+.  So, I would appreciate pros and cons input on the 423 vs 1522.  

I hope to make the decision and pull the trigger in the next week.  Thanks in advance for your input.
Well…this ole guy was just too impatient to wait for input. I pulled the trigger a couple of hours ago and bought the DS1522+ and four WD Red 8TB drives on Amazon.  (I don’t need the 5th drive right now and will get it down the road when I do.). Should be delivered on Sunday!  Will spend time between now and then mulling over how I want organize the data. Pretty excited about it.
I just made a page for you https://nascompares.com/answer/synology-...s-dva3221/
DS423+ is a multimedia friendly option.
DS1522+ is still OK for multimedia- but local only. Remotely it can only handle 1080p.
Otherwise, features are the same on both NAS. If you need 10GbE and Virtual machines then Ryzen is better for this.