Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP TVS-672XT - Setup SSD Caching

So I just ordered the 672XT with 6 20 Tb Seagate Ironwolf Pro HDDs, Two Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB NVMe M.2, 32 Gb RAM upgrade. I'm going to connect this directly to my Mac Studio through Thunderbolt 4 (3) and have it connected to the Ethernet in my office which is likely only 100Base T. I'll be doing video editing on my Mac Studio and I'm hoping to do remote video editing from home on my 16" MacBook Pro with M2 Max. I want to configure the HDDs in either RAID 5 or 6 (recommendation?) and use the 970 EVOs in RAID 1 for Caching. For video editing, is this the best setup? What are your recommendations? And are the 6HDDs and 2 970's One big storage pool? Or Two pools? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Congratulations on your purchase of the QNAP TVS-672XT and the additional upgrades! For video editing, many professionals use NVMe SSDs in RAID for video editing storage and HDDs in RAID for finished projects, as this setup offers faster performance. Cache was designed to improve HDD RAID performance, but if your projects exceed the NVMe space, using the SSDs in RAID for caching can be an option. One drive redundancy for cache should suffice. As for the HDDs, you can set them up in either RAID 5 or 6, depending on how quickly you can get a replacement drive if one fails. The storage pools for HDDs and SSDs will be separate, ensuring efficient and flexible data management.