Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Convert NAS to DAS

I have an old QNAP TS-251. I have two 4TB drives that I want to up in it and I want to use the full 8TB for file storage. This QNAP TS-251 has failed me many times over the years so I simply do not trust it as a reliable NAS. So I basically want to make it a networked DAS. Can I do this and if so how? I hate the fact that QNAP does not use a standard file system, but I don't want to trash this TS-251 and if it can be setup as a DAS it would save me a bunch of cash until I upgrade to a 8 bay NAS. So can anyone guide me through this?
Sure, to convert your old QNAP TS-251 into a networked DAS (Direct-Attached Storage), you can set it up in either RAID or JBOD mode to maximize storage capacity with your two 4TB drives. Then, assign a manual IP to the QNAP and connect it directly to your PC without going through a switch. Another option is to set it up in iSCSI mode, which will make the QNAP appear as an internal drive on your system. By doing this, you can utilize the full 8TB for file storage and repurpose the TS-251 as a DAS, which can save you money until you're ready to upgrade to an 8-bay NAS. This should help you achieve your goal of reliable and cost-effective storage.