Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS

Hi - Very detailed and highly insightful content, thanks.

From my research on a Mac/PC hybrid environment for currently one user, I pretty much have settled on a Qnap Nas, most likely the TVS-472XT and populate with -4- Seagate 22TB IronWolf Pro 7200. I had briefly considered a DAS but too limiting with my two machines and client access to media for review

My Environment
-1- 2023 MacBook Pro M2
-1- Lenovo P620 ThreadRipper (will require a Thunderbolt Pcie Card)

Media BU

MAC + PC
Backblaze for off prem storage
5TB LeCie

PC
Lenovo - Acronis archiving to HotSwap removable drive (goes in fireproof safe when traveling)

I am purchasing specifically because of Thunderbolt 3, would you recommend any of the following

NVMEs or SSDs for faster access caching? - I plan to edit 4k footage directly, perhaps using proxies (Resolve) but want both options and these tend to be large files, so from one post it appears that SSDs would be better with smaller files?

Open to paid consult

Hello and thank you for your appreciation! It's great to hear that you've done your research and are considering the QNAP TVS-472XT NAS for your Mac/PC hybrid environment. With its Thunderbolt 3 support and the ability to populate it with four Seagate 22TB IronWolf Pro drives, it should serve your needs well. Since you'll be working with large 4k footage, adding NVMe or SSDs for faster access caching is a good idea, especially for editing directly. SSDs tend to perform better with smaller files, which can be beneficial for your workflow. Considering your setup and requirements, the TVS-472XT seems like a suitable choice. You may as well consider using NVME for editing instead of caching (many people do).