Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Backup strategy

Hello and good day,
First, thank you for all the great content you’ve created, I watched a ton of your videos and learned a lot.
I am searching for the best backup strategy within budget.
Main goal is to preserve all data at any cost.
Some considerations:
My plan is to get a 4 bays NAS, maybe the DS423, the ARM one, yes ARM.
Currently offsite backups are off the table since my internet upload speed is very slow.
My current data to be backed up is about 300GB and growing fast, mostly photos and videos.
I am aware of the 3-2-1backup strategy, and I am thinking to populate the 4 bay NAS as follow:
• Fill out drive 1, 2 and 3 in a SHR pool with BTRFS and enable snapshot replication.
• Leave the 4th drive as a separate pool exclusively for backup.
• Add a USB drive for backup.
• Enable an old PC with Synology Drive sync one way to act as a third backup copy.
I would appreciate your expert toughs on this one, cheers.
Hello and thank you for your kind words! Your backup strategy seems well thought out and suitable for your needs. Setting up a 4-bay NAS like the DS423 with an SHR pool in BTRFS and enabling snapshot replication for the first three drives is a good approach to safeguard your data. Keeping the fourth drive as a separate pool exclusively for backup purposes is a wise decision. Adding a USB drive for backup and enabling an old PC with Synology Drive sync for a third backup copy will provide additional redundancy and data protection. As your data grows, having a reliable backup strategy is crucial, and this setup should serve you well.

Given your budget and requirements, the DS423 should be sufficient for your needs. However, if you find the need for extras like bare metal backup via the Active Backup for Business package, you may consider upgrading to a plus series NAS model for added features and performance. Considering your budget and future data growth, this setup should be well-suited for your backup requirements.