Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Upgrade from DS216j?

Hi,
First thanks for you site, great stuff!

I own a DS216J with 2x8T in raid1. I ram rather happy with it.
it does everything I need it to if not that quickly...
It is completely full, I have added about 4T of media in about 2y
I need an upgrade.

Usage:
We are an Apple family
We are not power users! 95% is local usage rarely remote access.
80% media storage essentially 1080p content but 4k is coming.
the media is served to the iPads Macs and an Apple TV4k (MrMMC, port of Kodi ) as well as a Sony Smart TV (Kodi)
15% back up of portables devices (2 iPhones, 3 MacBooks, 3 iPads).
5% download
5G is coming fast so we might want to remotely stream and with 4k also coming it might be worth the effort to build for this usage case.
Although I believe that anything passed the j model from Synology will do just fine for this purpose.

The DSx20x seem to be no show for this year and I cannot wait for next year.
so should I
a. Keep the DS216j, buy a pair of HDD 12T or 14T and see in 2y what’s available?
It seems easy to upgrade I believe just pop a new HDD in one bay and keep a 8T in the other, 
rebuild the array and pop the second one in to complete the upgrade?
b. Buy a 4 bay NAS for the next 5 years?
- better use the two 8T and add 2 12/14T HDD and build a hybrid array?
- scrap everything and go for 4 12/14T? how do I migrate?

What should I buy?
If we invest in a new NAS I'll definitely go for a 4 bay.
DS420j? Cheap essentially a larger DS216J but still no transcoding…
If I invest in a transcoding capable NAS I need it to be 4k@60fps, HDR etc capable or it just not worth the trouble and it won’t be future proof enough.
DS418 vs DS418play despite the media oriented play version the specs look like the DS418 support 4k@60fps and the DS418play doesn’t?
Qnap? price here are the same but the HDMI looks interesting for 4k but its seem that Kodi is not officially supported, any feedback?

Thanks for your site and your advices
There is no way your DS219J will support online streaming nor 4K multimedia. You will need something better. I would go for DS418play or DS918+. But you could also use budget DS418. It does support 4K60fps better. But the majority of files will not be 60fps.Qnap TS-453Be would be a nice option with an HDMI. But HS-453DX would support HDMI2.0.If you do choose DS418, you can start with only 2 drives and add more later when you need to. This would probably be the best option.I hope this helps.