Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Desktop Hard drives in Nas

Have have a stack of old hard drives, from old gaming computers and home server O tried to build once (died in a basement flood before it got off the ground). These are WD blacks, and Seagate barracudas. 4 of them for a total of 10tb. Other than letting them sit and be forgotten about, can I get a small 4 bay nas, from like terra master, run them in Jbod, and make it a plex server? I have nearly 1200 dvd/blu-rays. Those should get me started. Just not sure of the Nas will recognize them or not being desktop drives.

Thank you for your help and have a wonderful blessed day.
Absolutely, you can use your old desktop hard drives in a small 4-bay NAS like TerraMaster and set it up in JBOD mode. This way, you can combine all the drives without the need for RAID, which is ideal for different drive types and sizes. While WD Blacks and Seagate Barracudas might not be the best choice for RAID 5 or 6 due to potential compatibility issues, they will work well in JBOD mode. With nearly 1200 DVDs and Blu-rays, you'll have plenty of media to get started with your Plex server. Enjoy your media streaming and have a wonderful day!