Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which raid? First time Nas owner

Hi

I would first like to thankyou both for the very informative videos you have created on youtube??
I have just purchased a new ds920+ with 32tb of WS Red+ and I was hoping for some advise as a first time user of a Nas, which raid option should I be using for lots of personal data, precious photos, loads of 4k and bluray movies and music. Thankyou in advance.
Col
Congratulations on your purchase of the DS920+ and the 32TB of WD Red+ storage! Considering your requirements for storing lots of personal data, precious photos, 4K and Blu-ray movies, as well as music, we recommend using the RAID 5 configuration for your NAS. RAID 5 offers a good balance between data protection and storage capacity, allowing you to combine multiple drives while providing redundancy in case of a single drive failure. This means you can still access your data even if one drive fails, ensuring the safety of your valuable content. Additionally, the DS920+ is a powerful NAS that can handle multimedia streaming and file management with ease. For media handling, we suggest using apps like Synology Photos, Drive, DS File, and DS Video to efficiently organize, access, and stream your media files across various devices.