Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Creating own NAS from scratch and feeling lost with all the options

I wish to create my own NAS and Server to store Photos, Files and act as a Media server.

For photos, I am looking for an alternative to Google photos where meta data is kept and used (e.g. plex does not use meta data and it requires me to manually tag each photo and do this going forward).

For Files, I would like a central location where all my PCs or laptops can access the files. Preferably I will also be able to access the files from my phone though an app. If possible, I will also be able to access from my work PC where no software or app needs installed (if this is not possible this is not a problem). I would also like to store my gaming files/ saves (e.g. Steam) to the server so fast read/ write times would be preferred.

Media Server (and a way to stream these to phones, TVs, etc within home and out with)

For all of the above, I would like the ability to access the server/ NAS within the home when connected to the network and remotely, either on a PC or through my phone.
For your requirements of creating a NAS from scratch to store photos, files, and act as a media server, we recommend considering the DS423+ from Synology. This NAS provides excellent multimedia organization, seamless backups, and a wide array of useful apps for your phone and computers. It offers user-friendly interfaces and regular updates to keep your experience smooth and up-to-date. While building a DIY NAS is an option, it may require more effort in terms of setting up and maintaining apps that might not receive frequent updates. However, if you choose to build one, starting with an i5 CPU and using operating systems like Unraid or TrueNAS is a good starting point. These options can give you the flexibility and customization you seek. Ultimately, the DS423+ offers a more straightforward and hassle-free solution that meets your needs for redundancy, storage, and remote access within your budget.