Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS selection

Greetings,

So for a quick background, I want to create a home base NAS to store my files and as a backup for my devices similar to how google drive works. I am a MacOS user and have lots of music and video recordings that i would like to store and access wirelessly for personal use and at the same time (main use), have all the files accessible directly to my avr/tv for entertainment without using third party devices.

I have seen the QNAP TS251+ that has the hdmi out to be my best option but I'm worried about the software it has compared to a synology. I am a bit tech savvy but at the same time, I would rather have the simplicity of software and freedom to customize how my files are organized so is there a video of comparing how the software work for both the QNAP and synology? And just simply going through how they run on a normal basis?

Appreciate the help and More power to your videos!
For your home base NAS needs, considering your desire to store and access music and video recordings wirelessly while also having files accessible directly to your AVR/TV for entertainment, the QNAP TS251+ with HDMI out seems like a solid option. However, you are concerned about the software it offers compared to Synology. While Synology may have a reputation for being more user-friendly, it comes with certain restrictions that might limit your customization options. If you prefer simplicity and freedom to organize your files as you see fit, sticking with QNAP could be the better choice.

If this is your first NAS and you prefer ease of use, Synology might be a more suitable option. Additionally, consider the newer QNAP models like TS-262 or TS-264, which offer more up-to-date features. Alternatively, you can explore Synology DS220+ or DS224+ as viable alternatives to consider for your needs.