Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

nas purchase options ?

900 char max here, so 2 the pt.Send ur XMR/BTC addy. I will use ur Azon links. Looking at 220J/220+/420J.Currently tower server with LUKS on linux as raid 6 4+4+4+4TB. Need to replace or upgrade this. DSM7+ supports LUKS? or full vol encryption? Do i type the LUKS PWD on boot, or login to DS on boot and it uses a software key? can i use hardware (usb) LUKS key? {how to avoid the physical theft of whole unit & keep data integrity} The single 220J+USB3 > realtek 5G adapter can that be LAG for 5 usrs+media ctr at or do you recomm the 220+ with dual rj45 for this? Would love the 4 bay ( then 6+6+6+spare ) but that means all new setup of drives+device. Or would you recomm some other setup? Obviously the $$$ cheaper the better. I see you are using WD red HDD, thats good enough? (non-surveilance work, just files/media center). Also looked at SSD 4T+4T but the bottleneck is still the rj45. tnx
For your needs of replacing and improving on a 4TB storage setup, there are a few options to consider. DSM7+ on Synology NAS supports LUKS, and you can use a USB drive or another NAS on the network to store the encryption key for added security against physical theft. The DS220j may not be sufficient for 5GbE, so it's better to consider the DS220+ or the new DS224+ for better performance in this scenario.

However, if you require simple file storage and backups via 1GbE or 2.5GbE LAN, the DS220j can still serve that purpose effectively. Additionally, you can explore the DS423+ with two bays, and if you replace the HDDs with SSDs, it will significantly improve the speed even on the J series NAS. On the other hand, the Plus series offers extra features such as snapshots, virtualization, Docker, and Active Backup for Business, making them more versatile for various applications. Ultimately, it depends on your budget and specific requirements.