Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology DS120j Upgrade

I have a friend that has a DS120j, and while it supports Plex, it's a pretty slow to respond device. Is there a model you can suggest that supports upgrading to with a disk swap method? If not, can you suggest a base two drive model that is powerful enough to run Plex and transcode if necessary?

Of course, my friend would prefer the first method to save on money, but are open to suggestions for a budget friendly, Plex capable, device with a good five year (if possible) future proofing Smile
Considering your friend's current setup and requirements, I'd recommend upgrading to the Synology DS223, which allows moving from value to value series drives. However, if transcoding is a priority and budget allows, the upcoming DS224+ or DS423+ could be more suitable options as they offer better transcoding capabilities. Data migration to these models can be accomplished through a backup process, ensuring a smooth transition. With these options, your friend can have a budget-friendly, Plex-capable NAS that offers good future-proofing for the next five years. Keep an eye out for the DS224+ release, as it might be the ideal solution for the intended usage.