Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for easy solutions

This is an amazing offer!

I'm technically savvy, so I'm fine with the CLI or tinkering.

Use case:
+ Photo / Video storage (no fancy AI, no sharing, no editing, no remote access)
+ Normal document storage, occasional editing in-place

Requirements:
+ Easy to set up
+ Low maintenance
+ Easy to swap out drives if needed
+ iOS apps and preferably can use the Files app
+ Must be accessible and mount-able from Macs and Linux easily, preferably without any extra drivers

Nice to have in terms of priority:
+ De-duplication
+ Snapshot / file versioning
+ Support for 3rd party storage providers using an S3 API, rclone, or rsync
+ Encryption
+ Virtualization
+ Accessible to Plex-type players (does not need to host Plex app)

Storage:
+ 4TB but grows slowly. ~500GB/year.

The Nice to have section is really nice to have, it's perfectly fine if the available hardware don't support any of that.
For your specific use case and requirements, I would recommend considering the Synology DS423+ or the upcoming DS224+. Both of these NAS models would serve your photo/video storage needs without any hassle. The DS423+ can support 2 to 3 drives initially, allowing for easy and gradual expansion as your storage requirements grow. On the other hand, the DS224+ is an upcoming model that might be a great fit for your needs. Both NAS solutions offer ease of setup, low maintenance, and compatibility with iOS apps, including the Files app. Moreover, they can be accessed and mounted easily from both Mac and Linux systems without any extra drivers. Though some of the "Nice to have" features may not be available in these models, they are well within your budget of less than $300 with drives, making them excellent choices for your storage requirements.