Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology drive function

We have a synology 215j, considering upgrade to 423+ or similar Qnap. Key purpose is to replace my use of Dropbox which I use to host my work. I work between 2 computers PC, iPhone and iPad. My broadband is 500m up/down on a gigabit Lan network
I like the Synology drive and I did a test on it with introducing a single project on my PC that is synchronised with Synology drive which seemed fine at first. Later I dragged a bunch of folders (a lot), and it seems that Synology drive consistently do not sync the contents 3 levels in.
The question is if this is because I am using a 215j and upgrading to 423+ would solve the problem? Or would the Qnap equivalent work better for my needs?
I would like to have the client software that enables synchronisation, keep all of the files on the NAS, and then the ability to keep some of it offline on the client machine when desired (laptop, PC, iPhone iPad), similar to how it works on Dropbox.
It appears that the issue you are facing with Synology Drive not syncing the contents three levels deep could be due to the number of files you are trying to sync exceeding the recommended amount for your Synology NAS model. Each NAS model has a specific limit on the total number of files that can be synced simultaneously. To resolve this, you can check the product spec page for your current NAS model to find the recommended file limit for syncing.

If the number of files you wish to sync exceeds this recommended limit, it may be affecting the processing performance of Synology Drive, leading to longer syncing times and delayed responses. To address this, you can try the following steps:

Go to File Station, right-click on the folder that is not syncing, and select Properties to view the number of files it contains.

If the number of files exceeds the recommended limit, consider disabling some folders in Synology Drive Admin Console to reduce the number of files being synced and lessen the server workload.

Review your folder structure and sync rules, and only sync the necessary folders to reduce the server workload. You can move unneeded folders and files to a shared folder that is not assigned as a team folder by Synology Drive Admin Console.

Alternatively, you mentioned considering an upgrade to the QNAP 423+ or a similar model. Before making the switch, it's essential to verify the file-syncing capabilities of the QNAP NAS models to ensure they can handle the number of files you wish to sync effectively. Additionally, ensure that the client software on QNAP NAS provides the ability to keep some files offline on client devices when needed, similar to how it works on Dropbox.