Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RAM Advice DS720+

Hello,

I have been using my Synology NAS DS720+ without any issues for past 3 years with default 2GB RAM. Now I started to experiment with docker a bit and with couple of containers running I started to run out of memory. I have read all the articles regarding the RAM upgrade and compatible modules and I aware of the risk and benefits :-) But what is not clear to me:

1. If I buy a 16GB tested stick, should I replace the default one with that or not? Or can I leave the 2GB there and add 16GB to free slot to have 18GB in total?
2. In some of the articles you mentioned that you recommend to install two same sticks at once. Should I understand it as Synology NAS supports Dual-Channel? So it is better to install 2x8GB instead 1x16GB?

Many thanks in advance

Tomas

Tomas
Yes, you can definitely add a 16GB tested RAM stick to your DS720+ without removing the default 2GB RAM. This way, you'll have a total of 18GB RAM, which should significantly improve your NAS's performance when running Docker containers and other applications.

While we do recommend installing two identical RAM sticks to maximize performance, it is not essential. Your Synology NAS does support Dual-Channel memory, and installing a pair of the same RAM modules can offer a slight performance boost. However, if upgrading to 2x8GB is not feasible, installing a single 16GB stick will still provide a substantial improvement compared to the default 2GB configuration.

To help you find compatible RAM options for your Synology DS720+, we have compiled a list of recommended RAM modules on our website. You can check it out at the following link: https://nascompares.com/answer/synology-...tible-ram/