Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AS5402T (Nimbustor Gen2 vs Flashtor

1. Thank you for your videos (as well as your previous response dissuading me from the DS223 in favor of Intel-based new releases from Asustor or Synology).

I recently bought the AS5402T from Amazon and used your reference link (I hope it worked for you to get a commission, even though there wasn't a direct link, i.e. I took your reference link to Amazon but then had to navigate to the AS5402T).

2. Why do you say the Flashstor may be a better value than the Nimbustor Gen2 in your recent video (Con#4)? If I only intend to use up to 4 of the NVMe slots, wouldn't the Nimbustor (at $369) be a better value than the Flashtor (at $529) w/ identical specs?

3. In that same Nimbustor Gen2 video, you mention that NVMe speeds are restricted: should I not buy the latest and greatest NVMe SSD then, i.e. is there a specific SSD generation or speed I should look for in order to not buy a high end SSD which will be throttled?

Thank you so much for your videos! I've been matching many of them!
Thank you for reaching out to us, and we appreciate your continued support! In regards to your question about the AS5402T (Nimbustor Gen2) versus the Flashtor, it's essential to consider your specific storage needs. The AS5402T is a great choice if you require two HDD bays, offering ample storage capacity. On the other hand, if your priority is IOPS and speed, the Flashtor with its NVMe slots can provide superior performance. The decision ultimately depends on your individual situation and how much storage you require.

Regarding NVMe speeds, these NAS devices come with 4x PCIe Gen 3 m.2 NVMe slots, which means you can use NVMe drives of this type. There is no need to invest in more expensive Gen4 NVMe drives, as the Gen3 drives are fully compatible and can offer excellent performance. For the best NVMe options, you can consider Samsung's 980 Pro series or Firecuda, which are known for their high-quality and fast performance.