Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need advice for nas HDDS current ones I can hear through apartment

Hi been watching your videos for awhile. It lead me to purchase my first Nas Qnap TS-664 with 6x20TB seagate exos enterprise drives. I live in a 800sqft apartment. The HDDS are so loud can hear them in every room even outside my front door. The Nas itself is not noisy but the drives are insane. Can you recommend some quieter drives at least 20tb. I’m using the Nas as a plex server if that makes a difference with raid 5. any advice would be greatly appreciated haven’t been able to use it much because of the noise and my neighbors
Thank you for reaching out and for being a part of our community! I understand that the noise from your current Seagate Exos enterprise drives is causing some inconvenience, especially in a small living space. Enterprise drives tend to be louder due to their design and higher rotational speeds.

For a quieter experience, I recommend considering NAS-specific drives like WD Red or WD Red Plus. These drives are optimized for use in NAS systems and are generally quieter compared to enterprise drives. You can check out our comparison article on WD Red, WD Red Plus, and WD Red Pro drives to find the best option that suits your needs.

By switching to quieter NAS drives, you can enjoy a more pleasant and neighbor-friendly experience with your QNAP TS-664 NAS, especially while using it as a Plex server.

You could also consider using 1-2 SSD for OS and apps. And bigger HDD data you don't access very often.