Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hard drive and ssd

Hi, I have a DS 920+ 3 8TB Western Digital drives 5400 rpm and 256 cash and 1 with 4 TB.The problem is that I want to change the fourth one to also 8 TB but they don’t sell that unit anymore. Western Digital only sells now 8 TB with 7200 RPM and 256 cash or 8TB 5600 rpm and 128 cash could I maybe buy a different brand that has the same specifications in cash and RPM. The second question is if I buy SSD for cash will that help when I want to see my pictures that I have saved on my hard drive because it’s very slow now and yes I have over 10,000 pictures.

Best regards Cerim
Thank you for reaching out! Regarding your first question, you can indeed use drives from a different manufacturer with similar cache size and RPM as the Western Digital drives. The DS920+ NAS is compatible with various hard drives, so you have some flexibility in choosing a replacement drive.

As for your second question, adding an SSD for cache can improve performance, but it might not make a significant difference when viewing pictures directly from the hard drives. Since you mentioned experiencing slowness while accessing your pictures, it's worth checking how much RAM your DS920+ is currently using. If it's running low on RAM, upgrading it could have a more noticeable impact on performance.

I would recommend using the Synology Advisor tool, which can assess your NAS configuration and provide a report to determine if adding an SSD cache or increasing RAM would be beneficial for your specific usage scenario.