Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My first NAS

Hi Nas Compares,

Can you please help me with my first NAS? I would like to have 2 bay NAS but if there is any reasonable option for 4 bay, why not.

My use case is to have it mainly for
:: photos to back up and share with family
:: storage for movies and series so I can connect remotely and play it when needed to my kids during travels
:: backup of my phone and laptop (mainly selected files on PC). If possible to have snapshot of the entire phone with apps preferred (not sure if possible)

The amount of data I currently have is around 1.5 TB

I was considering Synology DS223j as an entry series, but I cannot increase ram or change the LAN ports. Now the question, do I need more RAM, SSD or 10 GB port for the above use case? Is the entry level limited in any way that I wont be able to do the listed tasks above?

I really don't mind paying more bucks if it will last, but I don't want to buy high-end NAS and not use it to its full potential.

Thank you for any advice.
Thank you for reaching out! Based on your use case, a 2-bay NAS should suffice for your needs. For photo backup and sharing, storing movies and series for remote access, and backing up your phone and laptop, a J series NAS like the Synology DS223j can work well as long as you stick to using Synology-only apps. However, if you want more flexibility and the ability to use Plex for media streaming, consider Celeron-based models like the DS224+ or DS424+. These models offer the option to upgrade RAM or add an NVMe cache, providing better performance for your tasks.

The DS223j does have slightly more RAM than the J series, so it can handle these tasks smoothly. If you choose the value series NAS like the J series, you'll be good to go with your listed tasks. However, if you prefer a bit more versatility and room for expansion, the Celeron-based models might be worth considering. Keep in mind that investing a bit more upfront in a higher-end NAS can provide future-proofing, ensuring it remains suitable for your needs even as they grow.