Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Buying A new NAS to future prof the buisness

Hey just wonna say i love ur NAS videos on youtube their very helpful when looking for NAS and growing in the NAS world of things. that being said and you have probably heard it countless times, is synology and their listing of Drives that are compatible its a real shame that they do it to use cuz of them being such a great package anyways but it rather causes havoc and not only that their prices are nutz lol. anyways i do wonna get a NAS rack mounted im not sure if I wonna go with synologys SSDs yet because of the price per TB, just to explain what our briskness is atm we got around 15 guys connected to the nas for file viewing in our business nothing heavy quick view of a pdf. and like 5 guys always working out always read/writing countless small files DXF GEO NESTs. the occasional Big file copy. anyways reason i want to go SSD is because of the iops and response i feel like they would preform better then the hdd nas i got going atm. which is way to small for our setup (DS220j)
Thank you for your appreciation of our NAS videos! We understand your concern about compatibility and pricing, and we're here to help you find the right solution. Based on your needs and desire for future-proofing, we recommend considering a NAS from the Plus Series with a PCIe slot for potential 10GbE upgrade in the future. Since your current requirements involve quick file viewing and small file operations like DXF GEO NESTs, the RS822+ could be a suitable choice, providing 4 bays and offering over 2103/1074 MB/s sequential read/write speed. To further enhance performance, you can fill the NAS with SSDs, which will significantly improve response times and can be used for storage or cache. This configuration will meet your 4TB storage needs and allow room for future expansion as your business grows.
Yes the RS822+ is in the Shopping Cart along with his buddy the 8 Bay to possibly be able to add more Storage 5 years down the road, or just hot swap bigger SSDs into 4bay, the only problem i have is synologys absorbed pricing in NAS SSDs im considering getting Seagate's Iron Wolf NAS SSD instead because price per TB even though their not on synologys so called "verified" list. im curious on whats your take on this. i think we are all a bout sour over synology with this pushing their own brand.