Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Choosing # of hard drives, type and storage capacity of each

I think I am going to purchase the Synology DS1522+ today. It has 5 Bays. Now I have to decide which hard drive(s) to purchase. I am leaning towards Seagate. I hear that Synology does not sell their own hard drives (toshiba) for this model. SATA from Seagate sounds like a good option. SSD or HDD? All same size (2x2x2x2) for 4 Bays. Or (8x6x4x2)? I do think I want to use one drive as a mirror (redundancy) in case of a HD failure
Congratulations on your decision to purchase the Synology DS1522+ NAS with its 5 bays, an excellent choice! Regarding the hard drive selection, you have multiple options. Synology drives work well on any NAS, and they have recently started relabeling Seagate drives instead of Toshiba. You can opt for Synology-branded Seagate drives, which also include free data recovery service, or choose Seagate drives directly. If you prioritize speed and performance, SATA SSDs would offer a smoother experience compared to traditional HDDs.

Considering your plan to use one drive as a mirror for redundancy in case of a hard drive failure, it would be advisable to go for the same size drives (2TB each) for the 4 bays or consider an 8TB drive for better storage capacity. Ultimately, your budget of $1000 allows for various combinations, so you can tailor the storage capacity to suit your specific needs.